The history of Lihue United Church is traced back to 1820, when congregational missionaries landed in Waimea, Kauai and began a Church there among the Hawaiian people. In 1898, Lihue English Church was established with the Rev. J.M. Lydgate ministering to both the English-speaking and Hawaiian-speaking communities. Later, after the turn of the century, Lihue English Church simply began calling itself “Lihue Union Church” and the name stuck.
Over the next several decades there were strong ties between the church and sugar plantations due to the growth of the island’s commercial sugar industry. Eventually, East Kauai Methodist Church (labor union leaders) and Lihue Union Church (plantation managers) began “courting” in 1969.
The “marriage” was completed at a joint annual meeting of the two Boards on February 23, 1972, establishing Lihue United Church.
Lihue United Church is the only federated church (United Methodist Church and United Church of Christ)) on Kauai and one of a few in the state of Hawaii. In 1992, a Tongan language ministry was added. God continues to bless us and leads us into the future. With God, all things are possible!